- 1866: The Cargo Boat Desptach Co. Ltd is established with the aim of launching into the world of shipping. In 1936, Mr. Alfred L. Thambiayah, Member of Parliament of Ceylon, acquires controlling interest of the company from its then foreign owners and grows it to the forefront of shipping and trading, accounting for the majority of the business of the port of Colombo prior to nationalization in 1958. In 1969 Mr. Thambiayah establishes Renuka Hotels Ltd, the company being named after Mr. Thambiayah’s youngest daughter, Renuka.
- 1975: Renuka Enterprises Ltd is established by Mrs. I. Renuka Rajiyah and within the first three years of operations became one of the leading exporters of agriculture commodities – desiccated coconut and spices from Sri Lanka. The export business grew by 500% in the first 3 years, paving the way for investments in other areas.
- 1979: Dr. S. Ranjit Rajiyah, a medical doctor by profession joins the business. Renuka Holdings Ltd is incorporated to act as a promoter for infrastructure development projects such as the construction of the Mahaweli dams with foreign partners.
- 1980: Renuka Teas Ceylon (Pvt) Ltd commences as a producer and exporter of Ceylon tea bags from Sri Lanka.
- 1980: The Cargo Boat Development Co PLC commences construction of a high rise building in Colombo Fort and is listed under the property sector of the Colombo Stock Exchange.
- 1982: Renuka Agro Exports Ltd commences as Sri Lanka’s pioneer value added exporter of Coconut products.
- 1989: Renuka Group Ltd emerges as the parent company, with only affiliate stakes retained in Renuka Hotels and Cargo Boat.
- 1990: Ceylon Botanicals Ltd was formed to venture into organic cultivation and processing. Its Viharagama estate having been in the family since the turn of the century. The successor to the company is Kandy Plantations Ltd which establishes Sri Lanka’s largest organic-certified coconut farm.
- 1990: Renuka Foods PLC (formally known as Coco Lanka PLC) is established and becomes the leading manufacturer of value added coconut based food products. In 1994 it is listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange under the Food and Beverage sector.
- 2003: The business of Renuka Foods PLC is expanded by its subsidiary Renuka Agri Foods PLC commissioning a state-of-the-art coconut based food and coconut water beverage manufacturing facility.
- 2008: Renuka Holdings PLC is listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange.
- 2010: Renuka Agri Foods PLC is listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange.
- 2011: Shaw Wallace Ceylon Ltd (est. 1909) and its subsidiaries including Bois Brothers & Co Ltd (Est 1891) is acquired. Shaw Wallace is a leading FMCG Food and Beverage, Automotive business house with strong national brands. Bois Brothers & Co. is amalgamated with Shaw Wallace and the tea business amalgamated with Renuka Teas.
- 2012: The Renuka Building, a state of the art 61,000 square foot office building in Colombo 8 is opened to house group companies.
- 2012: McShaw Automotive Ltd is incorporated as a joint venture by the transfer of the automotive business.
- 2012: Richlife Dairies Ltd, Sri Lanka’s first UHT Dairy milk manufacturer is acquired.
- 2014: Renuka Organics (Pvt) Ltd acquires Unagahadeniya Desiccated Coconut Mills (est. 1961) while Renuka Agri Organics Ltd opens an expanded Virgin Coconut Oil manufacturing facility.
- 2015: Galle Face Properties Ltd commences a high rise building project in the central business district Colombo.